OIG Exclusions list
It is very important to make sure you do not hire anyone that has committed Medicare or Medicaid fraud or been convicted of elder abuse. Be sure to check this list before you hire new employees. This link is located in the Employee (Workforce) Clearance Checklist.
- The database only includes the name known to OIG at the time the individual was excluded, any former names used by the individual (e.g., maiden name, previous married name, etc.) should be searched in addition to the individual's current name.
- An individual with a hyphenated name should be checked under each of the last names in the hyphenated name (e.g., Jane Smith-Jones should be checked under Jane Smith and Jane Jones, in addition to Jane Smith-Jones).
- If checking only a few names, use the Online Searchable Database to search up to five names at once.
- If checking many names, consider downloading the Downloadable Database into a spreadsheet or database program. This will enable the user to use that program's search functions to crosscheck the names against the thousands of names on the LEIE. Verify the correct spelling of any names before starting a search.
- For a potential match, verify the results by entering the SSN for an individual or EIN for an entity on the Online Searchable Database. (Note: The Privacy Act prohibits the distribution of SSNs so they cannot be included in the Downloadable Database).
The OIG would like to you check this list monthly, but that is very difficult to keep up with if you have a larger organization. We recommend selecting a few employees each month to check. Then, checking all employees annually. NOTE: If you have an employee that is acting strange, or is having financial difficulties, it is suggested to check their name more often.
After your search, use the “PRINT SCREEN” key on the top of your keyboard to copy the screen. Use “CTRL” “V”, to paste in a word document.
If you receive a name that is on the Exclusion list, you will need to verify the person with the social security number you have on file. If it is NOT the same person, just make a note of this on your word document.
If they ARE on the list, they must be terminated immediately. It is best to check this list BEFORE hiring any new employees. If you are audited by CMS, they can and will deduct all Medicare and Medicaid payments made for all patients that this person was in contact with. This can be devastating if this person worked in billing.
When saving the file, we recommend using a consistent format, such as starting with the year, month, day.
For example: “2023 0512 OIG Smith Mary” or for annual “2023 0115 OIG Annual”.
To upload your file to the 7-Step HIPAA Keeper™ system, go to your Profile page and on the right side click on UPLOADS.
Add new, Click *Type and choose OIG Checklists from the drop down.
*Files – click on the Drop Files here to upload and choose the file from your computer.
Then, Click Create Upload.